Search This Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Creative Brain Gas


This was one of those weekends when you start off anxious to get to work on all the great things you were thinking about doing all week but didn't have time until the weekend. Then... the weekend gets here and your mind draws a total blank and you find that not only are you incredibly uncreative, but your technical skills are lacking, too.
I think part of the problem was I wanted to try too many new things. Take the pin weaving, for instance. I have weaved before, actually quite well, but this picture represents my first attempt at pin weaving. First, I found I had the pins too close together for the materials I was using. I used 1/4" increments, but found that 1/2" worked better so I ended up skipping every other pin when I threaded my loom. Second, the materials I was using are a little overwhelming for such a delicate weaving loom. The pins moved and pulled out, I lost my place and ended up going over or under more than one thread, I messed up the top rows when I took the work off the loom because I didn't secure it first. I know that pin weaving will work fine for yarn and ribbon, but not thick fabric. For fabric, a handmade loom using a wood frame and headless nails will work better. Live and learn, so it wasn't time lost. I did learn what to do next time, and there will be a next time, because I like weaving.
There's lots you can do with weaving. It doesn't have to be a big undertaking with tons of needles and cutting fabric strips. Here's a picture for a tutorial of a Christmas stocking by Wrights using bias tape pin weaving...



And a picture for a tutorial by Ben Franklin Stores for a pin woven Valentine card using ribbon...

















They didn't use a threaded loom, but still the look is stunning. So...After the pin weaving, I spent a considerable amount of time making a handbag that didn't turn out only because I tried to get too creative. Sometimes simple is best.

Until next time...


4 comments:

kathyj333 said...

Not much you can about that one, is there?

Sparky said...

Well hello Anne...we just gotta build your follower list, sew I joined..nice to meet you my dear..
Craft addict says it all doesn't it? Congrats on completed your Mkt degree..way proud of you.
blessings madame samm

Ann said...

Thanks, Madame Samm
I'm glad you joined!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

What a fun craft to try out.

linked within

Related Posts with Thumbnails